What can you do in the Hohe Tauern National Park?
Our Hotel Bräurup is located in one of the most magnificent and beautiful nature and vacation regions of the country: The Hohe Tauern National Park is the largest national park in Austria and the Alps. It stretches across three provinces on the border between Carinthia, (East) Tyrol and the Salzburg region. One of the national park capitals is Mittersill, home of our cozy hotel. There are many opportunities for attractive leisure activities, in any season. What can you do in the Hohe Tauern National Park? A lot, and we present you some of our favorite destinations.
Many of the inspiring sights in the Hohe Tauern National Park can be found in the region’s diverse nature. Countless natural places and refuges meet spectacular attractions that are certainly among the most beautiful places in Austria. Look forward to, among other things:
- Krimml Waterfalls: Europe’s largest waterfalls spread a fine, soothing mist of water that is said to have positive effects on health. Spectacularly, huge masses of water plunge into the depths. A hiking trail provides access to the fall steps.
- Krimmler Achental: This enchanting alpine landscape separates the Hohe Tauern from the Zillertal Alps. In addition to the Krimml Waterfalls, more than 15 alpine pastures scattered over the entire valley floor await you here. Here you can find many uplifting hiking routes.
- Grossglockner High Alpine Road: 36 hairpin bends lead up to 2,571 meters and invite you to a special class excursion. The Grossglockner High Alpine Road is not only one of the most beautiful panoramic roads in the world, it is the starting point of hikes, home to exhibitions and viewing platforms.
- Sigmund-Thun Gorge: The gorge in Kaprun fascinates with its thundering waters, while the sky seems to darken in places because of the towering rocks. In the summer, events and light shows accompany the tour.
- Schösswendklamm: Directly in Mittersill waits another magnificent gorge with the Hintersee as a highlight. In the valley basin of Hintersee, paths lead over thundering water masses, to lush alpine pastures and through natural beauty.
Other National Park Highlights
In addition to these enchanting natural sites, the Hohe Tauern National Park has many other highlights to offer for every taste, for young and old. With the National Park Summer Cardwhich is already included in the Bräurup vacation price, you can experience many delicacies for free or at a greatly reduced price. These include:
- NationalparkWelten Mittersill: Ten worlds under one roof – the entire National Park in one exhibition! On 1,800 m² in Mittersill, the natural areas of the region are presented in more detail. The 360° panorama cinema is one of the absolute highlights of the NationalparkWelten.
- Ferleiten Game & Adventure Park: In front of the tollbooth of the Grossglockner High Alpine Road, well over 200 animals find their home in a spacious, species-appropriate facility. The park is walked through in an hour, accompanied by educational and display panels. The adventure park with lots of playground equipment is especially popular with families with children.
- WasserWelten Krimml: The Krimml Waterfalls are appropriately staged by the WasserWelten. The adventure center provides exciting information and insights into the majestic world of the insane water masses. From the large panoramic terrace in the WasserBar, the view falls directly on the waterfalls, and in the outdoor area, play and learning stations await kids.
- Prehistoric Celtic village: Uttendorf was already inhabited by Celts in the early Bronze Age and was considered an important trading center. Numerous finds as well as reconstructed accommodations offer no less exciting insights into days long past during exciting guided tours.
Of course, this is only an excerpt of the many activities and sights in the Hohe Tauern National Park. The Bräurup reception will be happy to provide you with further daily tips for excursions and adventures in this diverse region. All that is missing now is your non-binding vacation request!
Copyright Photo: unsplash/Kristin Snippe